Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 2 - still no mail!

This is a fun project though I'm going to have to keep an eye on how anxious I get if I can't get an email out of the box fast enough! My strategy is pretty easy: Label, Respond, Archive. I use Gmail (as you can see from my original post) and it has been a great way for me to keep things organized.
I was never a big inbox hoarder in the first place but I always had between 20 and 30 items hanging around at any given time. I know to most people who have 100s if not thousands of items that may not seem like much but it was an annoyance to me and a source of stress the longer the items were not dealt with. Once you start letting things pile up in your inbox you can lose things so easily. It's hard enough for me to get through each day without a "to do" list and forgetting a commitment because my inbox got so full I couldn't see the item is just one more hassle I got tired of dealing with.
I am, by nature, a procrastinator and this is a great training exercise in the "just do it" school. I hope to see it carry over into other aspects of my life this year. I spend a lot of time planning to do things and wondering why they didn't ever happen. This year I hope that my inbox is a jump start to some other aspects of my life that need to have their own victory. :)

No comments: